Friday, July 15, 2011

The Obligatory TV Blog Emmy Picks



Alright, first we must address the MOST overlooked show, especially after A) it had a much better second season than first and B) the star hosted the Emmy nominations last year (not that MEANS they should have been nominated, but come on, its not like they pick people to do that who aren't worthy like Melissa McCarthy who was nominated this year and announced). COMMUNITY deserves to be in there with best comedies over, as much as I hate to admit it, 30 Rock AND the Office, both shows which I love but have clearly been dwindling in their humor after finding a safe zone. After a solid year and one of the best comedy season finale's EVER, this show was completely snubbed. I'm looking forward to Abed making underhand comments about it next season.

On to the entertainment industry praising itself - Tracy Jordan said it best: "Actors deserve gifts, without us who would present awards to actors?"

Alright, to be honest, I haven't seen all of these shows, but I'm going to make judgments anyway, deal with it.

Map: One * means I think it'll win. Two * means I want it to win. Three * means I want it to win and it probably will. If you get confused, I feel bad for you.


Best Drama


Boardwalk Empire*
Dexter
Friday Night Lights
Mad Men
The Good Wife
Game of Thrones**


So, I haven't seen Boardwalk Empire, FNL, Mad Men, or The Good Wife, so my prediction is purely going on prestige, hype, and what I want to watch the most, so I chose Boardwalk Empire. Dexter was sub par this season and Julia Stiles f*cking ruined it. Mad Men I know has been great, but I also saw a lot of talk about it maybe not having another season, or at least not very many more. The Good Wife is probably the underdog here and I wouldn't be completely surprised if it won. I would LOVE to see Game of Thrones win, but I think that's only because I'm currently obsessed with the show and the books.


Best Comedy


The Big Bang Theory
30 Rock
Glee
The Office
Modern Family
Parks and Recreation***


The only show I haven't seen here is The Big Bang Theory, and I can say I probably never will. I'm not a fan of the laugh track comedies. 30 Rock and The Office are a little too geriatric for a win, Modern Family is amazing but experienced a sophomore slump while Parks and Rec, I think, is the clear winner. The story picked up, Rob Lowe and Adam Scott added a new dynamic, and who have we heard of more this year than Ron F*CKING Swanson? If this show doesn't win, whoever decides these things should be dragged through the streets, especially after Community wasn't given a nomination, and between the two of them, I'd still pick Parks and Rec.


Best Actor Drama


Steve Buschemi - Boardwalk Empire*
Hugh Laurie - House
Michael C. Hall - Dexter
Jon Hamm - Mad Men**
Kyle Chandler - FNL
Timothy Olyphant - Justified


Alright, I've never even heard of Justified, or maybe I have but just wasn't interested. Michael C. Hall, while giving a solid performance, won last year and had a weak season in terms of story and writing. Jon Hamm is just hot, and Steve will most likely win, I mean, come on, its Steve Buschemi.


I'm not even going to bother with best actress Drama. I haven't watched any of the shows, nor do I really care about any of the actresses. Except I'll say that I bet Julianna Margoulis will win purely based on how much a friend raves about the show.


Best Actor Comedy


Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock
Steve Carrell - The Office*
Louis C.K. - Louie**
Matt LeBlanc - Episodes
Two Different Actors - The Big Bang Theory


I think Steve Carrell has this one. It was his last year, he's consistently hilarious, and I'm sure the people choosing feel they should give it to him now since everyone else will have another chance. I want Louis C.K. to win though. If you've ever seen him even speak, you know he deserves it. Also, if you've seen Episodes, tell me about it. I'm not too excited about watching a show with Matt LeBlanc that isn't Friends, but hey, maybe it's good, but there's no way he's Emmy worthy.


Best Actress Comedy


Tina Fey - 30 Rock
Laura Linney - The Big C***
Edie Falco - Nurse Jackie
Martha Plimpton - Raising Hope
Amy Poehler - Parks and Rec
Melissa McCarthy - Mike and Molly


** I definitely care about this category the most.


I won't be so mad if Laura Linney doesn't win even though she deserves it way more than anyone else, but if Edie Falco wins I might break my television. I'm still incredibly bitter that Nurse Jackie is still on while United States of Tara is off (for which by the way Toni Collette DID win an Emmy). Now this isn't to say that Edie Falco isn't a great actress, because she obviously is, but her character is the most one dimensional character on television with a show that does nothing. Tina Fey is just expected to be nominated but not win because she's Tina Fey. Martha Plimpton is hilarious on the new show Raising Hope, which should replace 30 Rock or The Office on the list of best comedies. Melissa McCarthy has been funnier in movies than the show Mike and Molly. Amy Poehler is insanely funny on Parks and Rec, but I still think Laura Linney deserves the Emmy. The show is ground breaking, the subject matter is intense, and yet she is able to keep it light-hearted and serious all at the same time. Overall just a gorgeous actress and performance.




Again I'm not going to list the nominees for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama. It has to go to Peter Dinklage


Best Supporting Actress in a Drama? Christina Hendricks from Mad Men (and I'm sure any straight man would agree with me supporting those DDs). Why her for a gay man? Because I loved her in Joss Whedon's Firefly. I don't need any other justification.


Every adult male from Modern Family was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy. I hope it goes to Ty Burrell. Basically what I don't want is for it to go to Chris Colfer. Sure, he's great, but I just don't want Glee to win anything because they've got that whole show tunes gimmick thing going for it.


Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy


Julie Bowen - Modern Family
Sofia Vergara - Modern Family*
Betty White - Hot in Cleveland
Jane Krakowski - 30 Rock
Kristen Wiig - SNL**
Jane Lynch - Glee


I'm a die hard Kristen Wiig fan so naturally I want her to win, even if I am basing it mostly off of her performance in Bridesmaids (and yes, I realize I thought Melissa shouldn't get it based on that movie, you caught me, congratulations). I hate to admit it, but I have watched Hot In Cleveland and it isn't the worst show, but I'm guessing this nomination for Betty White is one of those, "hey, she's going to be dead soon, let's give her one last hoorah," kinda nominations. Now between Julie Bowen and Sofia Vergara, the real contenders I'd say Sofia will win, but out of Brown Alumni solidarity I'd like to see Julie win. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. *Afterthought* Jane Lynch has already won for that role and is hosting this year, and she's a part of Glee, I hope she doesn't get it, even though it is highly likely.




Well, there are my picks. I won't be watching the show, mostly because I hate awards shows, but I am looking forward to reading the results the next day, or find out as my mom watches and calls for me to come watch with her as the winners are called each time interrupting me from my not so precious video game time. And, yeah, that's right, I live at home now until moving again. Its called cooked meals and a free bed. You know you're jealous.



No comments:

Post a Comment